Keep Things Simple and Healthy!
This post is sponsored by Hill’s. I am being compensated for helping spread the word about Hill’s® Science Diet® Perfect Weight 10 Week Turnaround, but WagsAhoy.com only shares information we feel is relevant to our readers. Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc. is not responsible for the content of this article.
The objective of the 10 Week Turnaround campaign (#PerfectWeight) is to educate parents about the importance of healthy weight for their pets. Hopefully what we share with you here will help you make a more informed decision about your pet’s health.
In our last post sponsored by Hill’s Science Diet we talked about the importance of establishing a schedule for exercise and feeding for your pet. We talk a lot about this principle but: your schedule is only going to be as effective as you are consistent in following it as a routine.
In general, dogs tend to respond well to consistency. Here are some examples of this:
- If you wake up at the same time each day and your dog wakes up with you, chances are your dog will expect to wake up at that time each day, even if you choose to take a break one day! (we all know this one)
- If your dog’s feeding time(s) is(are) the same time each day, he or she will expect to eat at that(those) time(s) each day.
- When offering a command to your dog such as “Sit,” your dog is much more likely to perform the command successfully if you are consistent with your tone of voice, body language, hand gesture, and responses to both successful performance (praise) and poor performance (correction/ “no” language).
Our last post a calendar to help you establish and maintain a routine feeding schedule. For those of you who missed it, click here to access and download the calendar.
- You should be clear on exactly when, what,and how much food your dog is fed. Gilligan is fed meals at 6am and 6pm each day, eats his dry kibble formula at these meals with broccoli for treats during walks/training, and receives 3/8 cup of kibble per meal. Especially be prepared to provide clear instructions to anyone else feeding your dog so that the feeding schedule, nutrition and portions remain consistent.
- Not sure what the right amount is to feed your pet? Start with the Feeding Guidelines on the Bag and adjust as needed. Depending on where you live in the country your pet might be more active in the summer or winter so that should be taken into account and adjusted. Gilligan eats closer to 1/4 cup per meal in the winter when walks and activity are less than in the summer.
- Measuring cups make feeding time so easy and gives you the peace of mind that your pet is getting the proper nutrition it needs to stay healthy without being overfed. Don’t leave it to chance!
- Consistency with potty and exercise time is also important for your pet and their overall health. Your walks and bathrooms times are best done at the same time each day, especially on the weekends when it can be tempting to sleep in.
Remember to take things slowly. This isn’t a fad diet or a race. Refer to your 10 Week Turnaround Calendar in order to remind yourself where you are in the process and that each step is an important one.
Need a little help kick starting your pet’s weight loss? Hill’s Science Diet has a sweepstakes going on where you can enter to win 10 Weeks of Perfect Weight!
Hill’s Science Diet Perfect Weight dog food now comes in a new variety that’s specially formulated to achieve and maintain a healthy weight and improve quality of life in small and toy breed dogs (which make up 40% of the dog population). It features prebiotic fibers for gentle digestion and 100% balanced nutrition.
70% of dogs and cats who used Science Diet Perfect Weight lost weight within 10 weeks!